Wednesday 4 October 2017

The Witchwood Crown - Tad Williams

Now, twenty-four years after the conclusion of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Tad returns to his beloved universe and characters with The Witchwood Crown, the first novel in the long-awaited sequel trilogy, The Last King of Osten Ard. 

Thirty years have passed since the events of the earlier novels, and the world has reached a critical turning point once again. The realm is threatened by divisive forces, even as old allies are lost, and others are lured down darker paths. Perhaps most terrifying of all, the Norns--the long-vanquished elvish foe--are stirring once again, preparing to reclaim the mortal-ruled lands that once were theirs.... 

My thoughts:
I do not remember anything from the previous books (except this great cover). So for me it was no problem jumping in, and no, I still did not remember anything. So for that reason I could say yes it works like this. Honestly it must have been 20 years since I read them 0_0 I read the translation since I did not read English then, ugh, those were never good back then.

30 years have passed since the war. Simon and Miri rule, but tension is growing under the lesser kings. And the Norns wants to take their land back from the filthy humans.

No, we should not start there...think...ok so Simon and Miri had one child, who fathered two. I still do not know how that works. See I can not remember anything, so when was that prince born? The war ended 30 years ago....their grandson (a total wastrel) is 17, yes we are told the prince married young but HOW young? The things I wonder about. So the wastrel prince Morgan has a LOT of growing up to do. I guess he gets to prove himself in the coming book.

Miri did have this uncle...who is missing and so is his kids. One mystery right there.

I feel like I am rambling, I just want to get to the best part. See there was this prequel novella about the norns, and I found myself liking them. Yes they are total racists...or is that speciesist? But I enjoyed reading about them, they totally were the best part. We follow V (yes I forgot the spelling) and his half blood daughter who is a member of the queen's guard. Since in the prequel novella they decided that they need more people and why not mate with filthy humans. Their story was so the best one in the book.

And at the end there was this other POV that was totally Boom! Ha, did not see that coming...that was good.

And yes Miri and Simon was the boring part, I rather read about the rest. So they made it rather long to be honest.

I know the norns are bad but they just want their land back!

Hardcover, 721 pages
Published June 29th 2017 by Hodder & Stoughton
The Last King of Osten Ard #1, Osten Ard Saga #4
Fantasy
Library

24 comments:

  1. Great review Blodeuedd. It must be a requirement for all great fantasy/UF to be at least 700 pp :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review, not sure this is the right book for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that math does not add up! lol Great that you could jump right back in though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out it was 35 years, makes sense then

      Delete
  4. 721 pages - a lot of reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your normal count when it comes to fantasy

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried any of his books. I've been meaning to do that for years though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has bee forever since I read one of his books and I always enjoy them. I so need to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man thats great that you were still able to enjoy this book without remembering the first few

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me. I too would want my land back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been curious about this series. I am glad you were able to enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I had no problems jumping into this at all either, and I have not read the previous books. There's some context I must have missed, but overall I was fine. Yes, it was a bit too long though!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end rocked, wow. But some of the other parts did drag. Mostly cos I wanted to read about other peeps lol

      Delete
  11. Dude you read this?? Cool! I haven't seen any reviews yet from my usual suspects. :) I'm reading this now and TBH I'm struggling, haven't picked it up in weeks. And I loved the earlier trilogy. I guess I'm curious where Josua went but the rest is kinda boring me, sadly. I need to push on though, maybe it'll turn around. Glad you liked it, gives me hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOme parts draaagged. I did not like Miri, Simon and the wastrel. But the rest I liked. And I do wonder where Josua is

      Delete
  12. I'm glad this still worked even though you couldn't remember the last one.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP