Sunday 29 September 2013

Review: Hope's End - Brian McClellan

A Powder Mage short

Captain Verundish has two problems. On campaign with the Adran army and far from her homeland, she is helpless when the young daughter she left at home is threatened. To make matters worse, General Tamas has put her lover in command of a Hope's End—the first charge through a breach straight into the teeth of enemy cannon and sorcery. To save the people she loves, Verundish will have to come up with a deadly solution...

My thoughts:
When it comes to short stories I never have much to say...cos they are short...very short. And this one was..16 page..ish.

The story takes place before Promise of Blood so read it before, read it after, it does not matter. Just read it.

The story was about Verundish who has some...drama in her life (since it's short story I wont spoil it). She is in a tight spot. I liked her, honor and duty, loyal and sacrificing. 

The story is about the charge called Hope's End. As the name says it will be deadly and without hope. What to do is the question?

I usually want more when it comes to short stories and not always in a good way. But here it actually worked as a short story. Sure I want more, but I was also happy with what I got. It was short and good and I enjoyed it.

Conclusion:
Short and nice :)

Cover
Eh

ebook
Published September 23rd 2013 by Brian McClellan
Fantasy
Powder Mage 0
From the author

26 comments:

  1. It is hard to review a short story, can't even imagine trying to do 16 pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dislike writing reviews for short stories. I feel like my review is longer than the story itself. LOL You did a good job, although it doesn't sound like my kind of genre :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get what you mean, short stories are almost impossible to review, but thanks for doing it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really glad this worked and yes this is super short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked perfectly :) And honestly book page numbers are funky so might have been longer

      Delete
  5. I do like short stories but I do agree with you in that its hard to write anything about them since its so short and you dont want to give too much away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the author did a great job with only 16 pages! That's hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did well, I find it hard to review short stories so I usually don't lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. With me it is always either short or nice so thank you very much :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Says a lot about the writing when the reader really likes such a short story!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very glad the short story worked well. I haven't read anything by McClellan but I've heard great things. I'm looking forward to his work =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always seem to want more from short stories too, but it sounds like this one was satisfying. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not too fond of short stories but they can be good sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so hard for me to review these short stories...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You read this one without meeeee!?! I so need to get these short stories. Maybe this will be what I read when doing NaNo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP