Monday 16 August 2010

Review: To Conquer Mr Darcy - Abigail Reynolds

Genre: Historical Romance/Jane Austen variation
Pages: 416
Published: August 2010 Sourcebooks Casablanca

In the Pride and Prejudice Variations series, Abigail Reynolds explores the roads not taken in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, imagining lively plot twists and ecstatically happy endings. Here the story picks up from a pivotal point in Pride and Prejudice—Mr. Darcy's infamously botched proposal of marriage. What if, instead of disappearing from her life after Elizabeth Bennet refuses his awkward marriage proposal, Mr. Darcy took the initiative and tried to change her mind? In Conquering Mr. Darcy, Darcy follows Elizabeth back to her home in Hertfordshire and sets about making himself so irresistible her impulses win out over her sense of propriety until, madly in love and mutually on fire, their passion anticipates their wedding.


I have been wanting to read this book for some time, not just because I like all sorts of Jane Austen sequels and variations, but because I like the what if question. Also this book is more the To conquer Miss Bennet kind of book. Darcy is a force to be reckoned with.

This book takes another route, after Lizzy has returned from that awful proposal Mr Darcy shows up with Mr Bingley. This time he will not take no for an answer and decided to court her, gain her friendship and all of her. And that he sure gets too. 

I am weird when it comes to HR sometimes, and I end up thinking "no one buys the cow if the milk is free". Here it worked, because in the end, who wouldn't be seduced by Mr Darcy. Stolen kisses, embraces and I am seduced by it all too. But I guess the point here is that he wants her, and he is not going to tire of her just because something happened. Mr Darcy is the true gentleman. if I wasn't already in love with him I would fall for him in this book. He makes an effort to be a better man, a man she deserves, he pursues her, makes her laugh, makes her want him. And all while I am delighted and grinning. Jane Austen would be shocked for sure.

The romance is lovely to watch, she melts, and like I already wrote, Mr Darcy is worth reading this book for. I have never seen him like this, and I am loving it. We also meet Bingley and Jane of course and they get their HEA, and do not forgot Lydia's mistake. The book follows the general storyline and that is here too.

But I did miss one thing, and it had to to with Lady de Burgh, but then again who needs her.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Cute
Reason for reading: From the publisher
Final thoughts: Sweet, and Mr Darcy is quite the seducer.
Grace: 3,5


35 comments:

  1. Before I even begin getting interested in Jane Austen spin-offs from the originals I think I need to read Jane Austen's novels first...I think that would be a wise course of action *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Abigail Reynolds. Have you read any of her other books? I liked the wooing Darcy did in this book. I'm with you. If I didn't love him already I would have after this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your last line :) I haven't read any of the Austen sequels. Sounds like this was ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another positive review of this book. I may have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There seem to be an infinite number of Mr Darcy-related books out now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo yum, a forceful Mr. Darcy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! You really make me want to read it badly. Cool;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sigh, you gotta love mr. darcy!! Sounds like this one is a great austen spin off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leontine
    Weeeeell, I have only read PP ;) I have seen the movies of the others..oh wait I have read Northanger Abbey too


    Loves2read
    I have read her The Man who loved PP :D But now I'd like to read more of her variation books cos I do love them.
    Awww Darcy wooing, it was lovely!


    Mary
    Lol, glad you liked that. I do recommend some nice Austen for you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nise
    Take a look, it is one book that is hard to resist.

    Mystica
    They are just awesome hehe

    Chris
    And I seem to be reading them, yup, I can't seem to get enough

    VFG
    That he sure was! But who could resist his kisses (of course now I am picturing Colin Firth but hey he is Darcy)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Irena
    Thanks! it was fun to see Darcy like this, that I do confess.

    Carrie
    mmm darcy, I can't get enough. But he was just so perfect in this one, a true gentleman, and at the same time really wicked

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it surprising how many Jane Austen novels are out there. I read the original but I kind of find it astonishing how many books work with that storyline.
    Happy you like it tho.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a good spin off.
    Great review.
    I like spin-offs and ints interesting to see where different authors take the story and characters.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi B!

    Well, this one sounds nice, and yeah, sometimes, I have to think if the milk is free, who needs the cow? But, such is modern romance, so you can have your cow and drink the milk too. LOL I think I've got my metaphors all mixed up...

    I'll take a look at this one, love, love, love Mr. Darcy...

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with Leontine, I need to refresh my Jane Austen vocabulary. I read a couple when I was a kid, but that was many, many moons ago.

    Thanks for yet another addition to my growing list...

    BTW, I have an award for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read a few spinoffs..some I like some not...but this one sounds really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this book too, I read most of her stuff when she was still unpublished and writing Jane Austen fanfiction online at several JA communities - Abigail was considered the cream of the crop and one of the best fanfic authors around. I'm glad she's had such success, this one was a big favorite from her fans. My favorite was another one she wrote, "Without Reserve" in which Elizabeth accepts the proposal from another suitor and Darcy changes her mind by seducing her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susi
    I agree, it's mindbogglingly say the least. But it does work :)


    Naida
    I sure like them too, and there are so many directions a book can take, and I do like to see them explored like this

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dottie,
    Lol, yes they sure drink their milk for free ;) Now why do I sometimes become such a prude when it comes to HR, it must be cos I am a sucker for historically correct books, and some make me cringe.

    Anyway here, here it worked, must be that spot in my brain that tells me that I too wanna be seduced by him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jules
    Thanks :D Coming on over at once.
    Refresh those memories and start reading, that is all I am saying

    Mandi
    I think it's the whole Mr darcy, seducer that makes it so ;)


    Julie
    !! I didn't know that :D How cool, well it sure shows since they know her Austen and seems to love writing about it. Now I too wanna read that book

    ReplyDelete
  21. It does sound delightful, even if it's not one I'll probably read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought this one was pure fun too!! I think the title should be To Conquer Elizabeth also...I'll be reading more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stafi
    I was so hesitant in the beginning cos I knew what was coming, but oh how much i liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love Mr Darcy but haven't read any spin-offs yet. Your comment "no one buys the cow if the milk is free" cracked me up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have heard so many people say they liked this book. I've got it on my wishlist already!

    ReplyDelete
  26. "No one buys the cow when the milk is free" lol sometimes true, but I would rather know the source of the milk is just as good ;)
    Brilliant review and I will certainly read this one. I trust your judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Teddy
    Lol, I am glad you liked that one ;)
    Not read one spin-off, oh, you must remedy that!

    Darlene
    Yay, I hope you like it if you end up buying it

    Jenny
    I am a HR prude sometimes ;) And Darcy sure thought the source of the milk was good, very good

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh here it is! just now I remembered you promised a review the other day when I commented on the great title :)

    OMG, Really? the book has all that? I think I'm ordering it NOW!:D just the thought of reading about Mr Darcy stealing kisses from Lizzy makes me all tingly inside.

    just curious: what made you choose this one above all other PP sequels around?

    Loved the review, btw!:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jen,
    Well, it was the whole what if thing (love what ifs), they thought of him going back there and really trying to win her hand made me all tingly. He really fought for her, In the real version it was more chance, but here, oh he uses all his charm ;)

    Now I just need that book where he actually says yes to his proposal straight away, now that is a book I want to read. What an awesome what if

    ReplyDelete
  30. *sigh*
    you don't need to say more, I'm sold, just ordered it xD

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jen
    Yay, I hope you like it, I can only promise that it will be a Darcy you have never seen before! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I reading this one now; I'm about a quarter of the way through. I also think it's more about conquering Miss Bennett than Mr. Darcy. I'm enjoying it so far, though.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anna,
    That title, ok they got it to attract readers, but the other way around would be so much better

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP