Friday 6 August 2010

Review: His for the taking - Sarah Parr

Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 320
Published: July 2010

On a mission to investigate treason, Privateer Marquis Warrick Barry believes he'll have no trouble getting the information he seeks from Karly Bane - the dark-haired beauty the Crown has ordered him to marry. But none of Warrick's tactics work. Unable to deny the hunger the fiery temptress elicits in him, Warrick realizes he must use seduction to persuade his new wife to trust him - both in and out of the bedroom. As the daughter of a pirate, Karly knows she has nothing in common with the aristocratic Warrick - except an overwhelming mutual attraction. And though Warrick's intentions appear honourable, Karly cannot bring herself to reveal her closely guarded secrets. But when danger threatens to tear them apart, she must decide if she can share herself fully with the man who is now her husband - and if she wants a love that can last forever.


I liked this book, Warrick's parents was in a previous book, but that time I wasn't too thrilled about some choices his mum made. But now it all worked for me. And I do give that it was fun to see his parents again and see that they had gotten children, and that there was happiness.

Pirates! Ok, no, but sort of later on, a few. Re-wind.
Warrick Barry is investigating smugglers and pirates. To gain some information he marries Karly Bane, the daughter of a pirate. But a stronger reason for this is that her uncle sold her to be a mistress to this bad guy, and buy marrying her Warrick saves her. Then it's time to uncover a plot regarding Bermuda, and trying to keep Karly alive. And yes then some pirates show up when they head on over there.

I liked Warrick, he was so protective of her, and wanted to save her, and yes he wanted her in other ways too. But he was such a gentleman, he needed her trust. I did find myself liking him a lot. He is also very forgiving, and doesn't give a damn about what others think.

Karly, I understood her completely. She was the daughter of a pirate, she had lived among them, she had been in prison, she had a bad reputation, and had secrets that could make her end up in jail again. She understood that marriage to her was a bad thing, it would tarnish his reputation. So she wanted out, that is before she started to fall in love, and I started to think, what the hell, who need the blessing of the ton. Of course I knew there was to be a HEA, but how would she deal was the question. And in the end she is such a good innocent girl.

Two people married without knowing each other, falling in love, trust issues, and secrets. There was some sweet loving there too.

Then there is the other aspect of the book. The adventure and thrill part, the hunt for smugglers, pirates, spies and finding out what is going on with Bermuda. A girl needs some action too. As for Bermuda, yes I might have pictured everything from Pirates of the C, but it fitted, and it was etched into my mind.

At the end of this book I did some counting, if they have some kids, then that would be a regency novel, now wouldn't that be lovely ;) I'd read that.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Not a fan of the floating heads, but they are better than half-heads or no heads. Also, he is handsome. But that ship in the bay at the bottom is truly lovely.
Reason for reading: From the author.
Final thoughts: Some nice romance, good characters and the hunt for a truth that could kill them all. Sounds like an adventure.

3

22 comments:

  1. First of all; LOVIN the cover!! And second; it seems you have had a thrill-ride of a read Blodeuedd. I'm not an avid reader of the pirate trope but this sounds so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *admires the Nathan Kamp cover*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this sounds ever so interesting! Great review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. That cover is very attractive. I have yet to read pirates, must get on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the guy on the cover is gorgeous! I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I might have to check it based on looks alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished this latest by Sarah and her words are beautiful. She reminds me so much of Joanna Bourne. One of my favorite historical romance authors who needs to write faster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *Sigh* Look at Nathan. He's so beautiful but I had to laugh at your floating heads comment. Too funny cause it's true. A head is better than half a head or no head at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the perfect mix of romance and action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leontine
    To be honest, there were only a few pirates at the end and they were all nice. I haven't read about pirates in ages, ever since I read a book that surely scared me for life, I still get upset thinking about it

    Chris
    I bow down to your superior knowledge

    Irena
    I am glad you like the sound of it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vixen
    You should see the ship in detail, so beautiful. And I always did like the sea

    DC
    Lol, I am a shameless judge of covers, The pretty ones tempt me sooo bad

    Carol,
    That is sure was :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. KB
    I have heard much about her, and people sure seem to go for her books. I am sadly yet to read her, but should check it out.

    VFG
    Lol, so right, I will rather take a floating head than a neck and nothing more. Cos come one, who doesn't want to look at that pretty face

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG You totally sold me on this one!! Off to add it to my wishlist!! A pirate who is a totally protective sweetheart??? I'm in!!! Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like a good romance.
    I've yet to read anything with pirates in it.
    I gave you an award :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrie
    Weeell, technically she is the pirate. he is a law-abiding nobleman, but he still is a protective cutie ;)

    Awww thanks Naida! Coming over now

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I think I'll add this one to my TBB list B! I love historicals where the ton has trouble with the hero and heroine. Makes for fun reading! Great HEA!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dottie
    A pirates daughter for a future duchess,well you could imagine, I would be horrified haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww..Nathan Kamp cover *pets*

    I like it when h/h get married without knowing each other. A fav trope of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mandi
    Lol, seems I am the only one that didn't know that was Kemp.
    And yeah, one of my fave storylines too

    ReplyDelete
  19. He must use seduction? Oh no, however will Istand it :) Sounds like a fun book. I like my romance to have adventure. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenny
    Lol, I know how could anyone survive that? The horror. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP