Monday 30 August 2010

Review: Beyond the Shadows - Brent Weeks + KT Grant winner

Night Angel, book 3

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 608
Published: 2008

Logan Gyre is king of Cenaria, a country under siege, with a threadbare army and little hope. He has one chance - a desperate gamble, but one that could destroy his kingdom.

In the north, the new Godking has a plan. If it comes to fruition, no one will have the power to stop him.

Kylar Stern has no choice. To save his friends-and perhaps his enemies-he must accomplish the impossible: assassinate a goddess. 


This is the third and last book. The two first were good and heart wrenching, I was always sick to my stomach for fear of the main characters life, and for the horrible things happening. In this one that feeling wasn't around, it was "lighter".

In this book Kylar wants Logan to take the throne, and he is willing to to whatever it takes to make that happen. Even if it means killing the queen and loosing his own life. Cenaria has enemies surrounding them, and as always the north is stirring.

Kylar was great as always, only he can die over and over again and still be surprised. I was never relaly a fan of Elene but after this book, she was remarkable. Love really is all conquering. Logan, well he is sure to become a great king. Dorian, the Godkings son is heading north and searching for the woman he dreamed about, Jeni. I felt sorry for him in thsi one, he really wanted to change the country but fell into every trap. Vi Sovari still swears and I have a new appreciation for her. All in all this book has a great cast of interesting characters.

Khali, oh I have been curious about her for a while. Could she really be a goddess and all that, since no other gods are around. And the strange Wolf that gives Kylar life again. It is truly a strange and magical world.

This is epic fantasy. Kingdoms fall, wars are fought, people die and are massacred. It is a dark fantasy series but with truth in it. Like I have said in previous reviews. War is a bitch, people suffer, people die, and civilians pay the consequences. That is shown here.

My only negative thing is the end. It was good and all, but I kind of wanted to know what happens next with Kylar. All stories in the book are getting an ending but it still leaves room for something more, perhaps 20 years later. I sure hope he gets back to this world because I can see a lot of more things happening.

Cover Corner: I do like fantasy and men in hoods.
Reason for reading: Own copy
Final thoughts: Good fantasy


The winner of For the Love of Mollie is 

Cecile

Congrats!!!


16 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the winner! By the way, your review for Beyond the Shadows was lovely...I'll definitely keep my eye out for that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review hon. And I love that you put you love men in hoods, I will have to keep that in mind in my Tribal hunting!!! LOL!!!
    I hope you had a great weekend and Yayayay to me for winning!! Thanks honey! I am going to email central right now!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review!! I like your cover commentary, I like the cover too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember hearing of this series but it definitely sounds neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it's sad to reach the end of the series. It's like I've gotten to know these people, and will miss knowing what happens to them.

    Congrats on the win Cecile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa
    Thanks!It is a good series if you like fantasy.

    Cecile
    Hihi, I do, I blame Ean McGregors Obi-Wan, mmm sexy clothes for sure, I am so weird.
    Congrats! ANd I hope you will enjoy the book

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie
    The best thing with the cover is that he is further away on each one, just as the title says

    Ladytink
    It is worth taking a look at :)

    Carol
    I know, I will miss them :( But I did read some rumour? that there might be more, set in the future

    ReplyDelete
  8. This series sounds good and just might be the one that gets me back into fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Cecile on the win!

    I hate when a good series ends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I know that feeling well - that anxious feeling for the character's physical and/or emotional safety!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued by this one Blodeuedd. Thanks for the great review.

    And congrats to Cecile!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Cecile, you lucky girl! :)
    Wonderful review, B!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Staci
    Oh do come back to fantasy, you do know it's the best genre in this entire world. Fantasy feeds your soul.

    DC
    Makes me sad every time :(

    Chris
    I was climbing the walls in previous ones, Weeks sure puts them through the wringer, he is evil ;)

    VFG
    It is good fantasy, dark too, but that's cool

    Janna :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi dear! I didn't want to put this on the interview post, so I jumped down here...

    I have a little award for you at my blog. Stop by and pick it up HERE whenever you get the chance! :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Tanya :D

    Naida
    They are so intense, hard to put down too

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP