Wednesday 25 August 2010

Graphic Novels: Bayou + 1001 Nights of Snowfall

Bayou, vol 1 by Jeremy Love

Pages: 160
Published: 2009

This was a great graphic novel. It starts with 2 girls playing, one white, one black, in a time when they shouldn't be playing. Soon the white girl disappears in the bayou and the black girls dad gets blamed.

The bayou is a scary place with real monsters in it, but our heroine braves it all. She is a truly brave little girl.

The injustice here kills me, but that's how it was. He creates a good story, and with the magical bayou elements. After having finished it I do want more.




Fables: 1001 Night of Snowfall by Bill Willingham

Pages: 144
Published: 2008

This was a another great graphic novel. There were a bunch of artists so the different stories all looked different, but it was fun to see. Especially since it was such a wide range of stories. The narrator is Snow White who is a prisoner in a harem and tells 1001 stories.

And this was sure not happy fairy tales, horrible things happened in them, and just showed that there is no such thing as a always HEA. But there was truth and reality (coughs, well if we lived in a fairytale, and there were evil armies).

Recommend for graphic novel fans, and those who like it was fantasy in them. Not to mention those who want to have a look at known fairytales in a different perespective.

This was my fav story and artist:
Snow White on the run



21 comments:

  1. Bayou sounds great. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do read this one Linda. It was good, and that bayou, what a strange place

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fables look really interesting!! Both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put Bayou on hold at the library. I had heard about before but forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I'm not much a graphic novel fan, it's cool to see what's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both new to me so thank you for bringing them to my attention - I am looking forward to checking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bayou looks lovely but the premise is dark. Hope everything turns out okay! I love the Fables! According to imdb.com the TV series is in production and supposed to come out next year. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of them look great. I love graphic novels and will be sure to try to locate copies of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these have beautiful art work. Thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been dying to read 1001 Nights of Snowfall - glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't read any graphic novels. Sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sound of both of them. Somehow the first novel got me thinking about To Kill A Mockingbird.

    Great graphic, very well suited for fairytales, on the Snow White novel I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrie
    The fables book was cool, and I guess this was sort of a prequel to the series where you follow the fables folk.

    Carol
    You're welcome :) I do hope the library gets the next part so I can find out what happens her her

    Chris
    I just love trying anything, lol. And they are fun, weird and easy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amused
    I hope you like them if you check them out one day. They were both very different

    Ladytink
    It was dark, and sad, and what can I say white men weren't that nice. But she stood tall and went into the bayou.
    Really! I need to go check imdb at once

    Staci
    Do that, these two I can recommend, they were good. And yes I did like the artists

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenny
    Some great artists in them, they captured the spirit of the story

    Brizmus
    Cool :) Have you read the rest of the Fables too? I do wanna read those now

    Yvonne
    I might not have that many more to read actually, the library doesn't have many :(

    Ladybug
    Hm, still haven't read Mockingbird, shame on me.
    But yes I liked the Snow tale cos it really did capture the fairytale aspect

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't usually read graphic novels, only rarely, but these two sounds really interesting, especially Bayou. That sort of unjustice stills hits you hard. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Irena
    It makes me so sad :( People are just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Bayou sounds fabulous! I am definitely going to look into that one. It sounds right up my alley.

    And yay for you with graphic novels :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aarti
    I am so proud of myself :)And It's all thanks to you, I finally just took the plunge.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP